ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: spraying fairings  (Read 2797 times)

bond_yzf

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 8
spraying fairings
« on: November 27, 2009, 06:29:13 PM »

rite im  gonna have a go at painting my track fairings and im looking for some advice

1-what primer to use
2-what top coat to use
3-prep work ie, sanding inbetween coats

etc,etc

im gonna be using spray cans  :lol:

any help appreciated

jim

tony83

• Mr. HAYATE
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 71
  • Windsor - Berkshire
Re: spraying fairings
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:05:39 PM »

get the heating on or wait till summer cause paint don't spray too well when cold esp from a rattle can  :icon_thumleft:

Jamma should be able to point you in right direction
//http//: [insert/quote/here]

roy

• *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 133
  • ESSEX
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:09:58 PM »

take your time .prepare it well and you should get good job. don't spray to close . build up coats slow . don't do it in the damp . if in garage wear a mask.

ho yer take your time .      in the words of Swiss tony ....treat it like a beautiful woman .........and you can only do it in .........green  :tongue3:
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:12:18 PM by roy »
green means go so what you waiting for

jamma10566

• *VIP*
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 45
  • North Cornwall nr Padstow
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:12:07 PM »

Sponsor me please, its a very good cause.
http://www.justgiving.com/James-CoryTakesabullet

Shongololo

• GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 169
  • Bedmond, Herts
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »

Jim I have a compressor and a spray gun if you wan tto come over here and do it

Brotherhood of the Elite. It's not who you are it's what you ride.
http://fullthrottledecals.co.uk

bond_yzf

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 8
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 08:27:12 AM »

Jim I have a compressor and a spray gun if you wan tto come over here and do it

ahh that sounds like a plan m8 ill give you a call  :icon_thumright:

jamma10566

• *VIP*
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 45
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »

Thats definitely a better plan than rattle tins!

TJ Studio UK

• Personal BHP 4
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:17:50 PM »

:) do it with spray  gun , will a lot better than cans ... 

bond_yzf

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 8
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 07:15:52 PM »

cheers fellas what paint and thinners will i need ?

cheers jim

jamma10566

• *VIP*
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 45
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 09:25:59 AM »

Start by giving the fairings a good clean with spirit wipe. Then get a dark coloured rattle tin and mist them all over. Not covering them, its just a guide coat to help you flat them.
Then dry flat with say, 240 grit production paper until the guide coat is gone. This will show up any little low spots that may need stoppering up and will also help make sure you have flatted all of it.
Then spray 2 or 3 coats of a high build single pack primer (dont use 2 pack unless you have proper fresh air fed mask). Let it dry and apply another rattle tin guide coat.
Wet flat this with 800 grit wet n dry until guide coat is removed.
At this point i would recommend taking them to your local body shop but if you still want to go the diy route then youll need your paint and lacquer.
Dont spray in damp or cold conditions. Apply your basecoat in thin even coats until the primer is covered then leave for 15 mins to flash off.
Lastly apply 3 or 4 coats of single pack lacquer and leave to dry.
The motor factor you buy the paint from will be able to tell you which thinners you need for each type of paint and the recommended mixing ratios.
Good luck, hope it turns out well.

dazman

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 31
  • Carlisle - Cumbria
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 08:15:27 PM »

Start by giving the fairings a good clean with spirit wipe. Then get a dark coloured rattle tin and mist them all over. Not covering them, its just a guide coat to help you flat them.
Then dry flat with say, 240 grit production paper until the guide coat is gone. This will show up any little low spots that may need stoppering up and will also help make sure you have flatted all of it.
Then spray 2 or 3 coats of a high build single pack primer (dont use 2 pack unless you have proper fresh air fed mask). Let it dry and apply another rattle tin guide coat.
At this point i would recommend taking them to your local body shop but if you still want to go the diy route then youll need your paint and lacquer.
Dont spray in damp or cold conditions. Apply your basecoat in thin even coats until the primer is covered then leave for 15 mins to flash off.
The motor factor you buy the paint from will be able to tell you which thinners you need for each type of paint and the recommended mixing ratios.

:iamwithstupid:   
You defo need a mask for 2 pack ,make's you go a little light headed !!!!!      [whistle]
Its a Kawasaki it has to be Green! with black bits!
http://dazmanuk.mybrute.com

tony83

• Mr. HAYATE
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 71
  • Windsor - Berkshire
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:59 AM »

You defo need a mask for 2 pack ,make's you go a little light headed !!!!!      [whistle]

//http//: [insert/quote/here]

10_10

• Marshall
  • Personal BHP 1
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2009, 04:01:57 PM »

If you did it as above, took it to a body shop and they painted it with 2 pack paint would it turn out alright even though it has single pack primer?

davemfox

• Super Moderator *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 291
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2009, 04:21:06 PM »

1993 YZF 750 SP (in PINK/white as a homage to AndyJ)

jamma10566

• *VIP*
  • Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 45
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 08:55:36 PM »

10_10. Nothing wrong with a single pack primer under a 2 pack topcoat. I use it quite often for small spot repairs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 21 queries.