ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DANGER READ QUANTUM FUEL PUMPS  (Read 2431 times)

michael4012

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 31
DANGER READ QUANTUM FUEL PUMPS
« on: October 27, 2020, 05:47:22 AM »

I'v been using Quantum fuel pump kits lately to re build customers pumps great they come as a kit so I no longer had to source the filters and seals separately win win or at least until I got a phone call from a team that nearly had a pit fire. Irate guy says he pulled fuel line to remove tank and petrol came running out the tank outlet over the scolding hot bike :oops: I briefly flaunted the idea I had assembled it wrong or badly and asked if there had been a drop in performance since he had it fitted " Fuck No" came the reply, so I guessed poor seals or bad assembly wasn't the issue. I had the assembly exchanged for another unit. I stripped it down found no fault reassembled no fault, on a bike pulled line and fuel ran out continuously :oops:. I striped down again re-fitted with a OE pump same housing and seals repeated test, no fuel running out :unsure: So I bench tested the Quantum pump itself with a simple low pressure gravity feed, to my horror the motor allowed fuel to run out just under the weight of fuel in the tank. FFS that means not only when you disconnect the fuel line but should you have an accident and any part of the fuel system gets damaged your going to have fuel running out:oops:. I tested all manner of after market pumps including chinese ones that are 1/5 the price, I tried all the OE ones and all have a check valve preventing this, these bikes and most modern bikes do not have fuel taps anymore as the submersible pumps are supposed to be also one way valves. I called in the 4 pumps I had done with Quantum and all four are the same as in allow fuel to run out. As pictured the motor kits for G3-4 & 5 are the same, and the G2 kit I had was the same. The serial numbers of the motors are clearly in the picture, I replaced with MSR pumps that I was using before and all is good. I have been refunded by Quantum but they took no responsibility and denied there is an issue. Guys do not use these pumps and spread the word somebody somewhere could get seriously hurt with these.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 10:57:58 AM by michael4012 »

davemfox

• Super Moderator *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 291
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: DANGER READ QUANTUM FUEL PUMPS
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 10:37:22 AM »

Blimey  :shock: :shock:

Thanks for letting everyone know. I've made this a sticky topic.

You mention pictures in your post, could you add them in please  :icon_thumright:

Dave
1993 YZF 750 SP (in PINK/white as a homage to AndyJ)

michael4012

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 31
Re: DANGER READ QUANTUM FUEL PUMPS
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2020, 12:17:13 PM »

All done the pictures of the bottle and motor are screen shots from video i sent to trading standards. It is actually flowing out which is hard to see in the picture as it also comes out would be the underside when installed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 11:02:24 AM by michael4012 »
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 18 queries.