ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: anyone know how to register a bike?  (Read 13728 times)

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
anyone know how to register a bike?
« on: October 04, 2015, 11:58:43 AM »

Ive got hold of a bike from france.
Its a dirt bike that i brought for green laning but i would like to get it on the road here in the uk.
It was on the road in france.
Ive been reading up on dvla website and i cant seem to get a simple straight forward procedure of how to go about it.
I mean surely i need to register it and get a numberplate for it for the mot?
I have a v55/5 form from dvla but it seems very complicated and i dont know how to fill it out.
I mean the first question is registration number. Is that for the french reg number?
Gen4/5 hybrid

zx10r-Alan

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 18
  • Living the dream in Catalunya
Re: anyone know how to register a bike?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 12:13:52 PM »

I did the reverse with my bike when I moved to Spain this year. If it is the same process, the first thing that must be done is to have the bike inspected and tested so they can confirm its identity (frame and engine numbers) and ensure it complies with the regulations for that country (you may need to change the headlight to one with a UK beam pattern). Once it is deemed to be what the french papers say it is, and is legal to be on the road, DVLA will be able to issue a V5 and registration number. You may have to pay import duty and VAT, unless you paid tax on the bike in France.

Go to your nearest VOSA testing station and  talk to them about it, thats what I did in Spain, and they explained each step that I had to take.
Biker-friendly self-catering accommodation in Cataluña, España
http://www.goodlifefarm.es/

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »

Ok i will try them. The bike was imported last year and i brought it from the guy this year.
Look at all this. This is too much to understand;
Gen4/5 hybrid

davemfox

• Super Moderator *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 291
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2015, 07:34:25 PM »

I'm just doing this with a jap import.

You can get an MOT without a reg plate - they just use the frame number.

V55/5 is a nightmare as it's there for loads of things, but it picking out the relevant boxes for your bike and needs.

Regards,

Dave
1993 YZF 750 SP (in PINK/white as a homage to AndyJ)

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »

Let me know how you get on with it please mate.
I'm just doing this with a jap import.

You can get an MOT without a reg plate - they just use the frame number.

V55/5 is a nightmare as it's there for loads of things, but it picking out the relevant boxes for your bike and needs.

Regards,

Dave
Gen4/5 hybrid

Prilla

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 13
  • Bromley - Kent
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:13:45 PM »

It's not too difficult to do for an enduro bike. I dug about online and followed this:
 http://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=284901&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Was straightforward and somewhere in the post is a copy of that form with the sections that you have to complete.

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 06:54:02 PM »

Thanks for that. Ive read it and im still a tad confused.
So do i ring honda to ask for a certificate of newness? Its a 1990s bike.
I have the french log book here.
Bike has brake light so have i got to remove it as it doesnt have a working front light?.
I plan on registering an old CR125 I've got and found this guide

http://www.visordown.com/forum/off-road-forum---mx-dirt-bikes-trail-riding-trials-enduro-and-atv/how-to-register-an-off-road-mx-bike-on-a-daytime-mot-it-gets-your-bike-legally/314198.html

Hope it helps
Gen4/5 hybrid

zx10r-Alan

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 18
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 09:17:19 PM »

Certificate of Conformity is usually only available for the first 10 years of the bikes life. It may still be available, but they don't have to be once a bike hits that milestone. All vehicles need a working brake light, and it must work with the front and rear brake. All lights fitted must work.

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 12:26:22 PM »

Great. Brake light works with both but it has a tail light built into it so have i got to remove the tail light and just have brake light? Front light isnt there.
Certificate of Conformity is usually only available for the first 10 years of the bikes life. It may still be available, but they don't have to be once a bike hits that milestone. All vehicles need a working brake light, and it must work with the front and rear brake. All lights fitted must work.
Gen4/5 hybrid

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 02:18:04 PM »

Thanks for that. Ive read it and im still a tad confused.
So do i ring honda to ask for a certificate of newness? Its a 1990s bike.
I have the french log book here.
Bike has brake light so have i got to remove it as it doesnt have a working front light?.
I plan on registering an old CR125 I've got and found this guide

http://www.visordown.com/forum/off-road-forum---mx-dirt-bikes-trail-riding-trials-enduro-and-atv/how-to-register-an-off-road-mx-bike-on-a-daytime-mot-it-gets-your-bike-legally/314198.html

Hope it helps

As far as I'm aware for a daylight mot you don't need a brake light.. I know sounds crazy but I think that is correct. However any lights etc. fitted to a bike when new must be in place and working.

You give Honda your frame / engine number and they send you a letter confirming year of manufacture, (I haven't yet done this myself but that is my understanding) this is to stop you being given a Q plate which will affect everything from insurance to resale, not good. If you've already got a registration document from France you could probably use that for age verification although I think if the bike has already been registered elsewhere it may require a different process to the one in the link as that is for registering off road / previously unregistered bikes.

I missed the part where it was registered in France , may require a google for registering an imported bike.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 02:26:19 PM by Waverider »

HammyUK

• *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 277
  • You weigh how much? You bastard!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 05:46:04 PM »

There is no "daylight MOT"
You get a standard MOT with advisories on it.
No brake light though and there will be no MOT.
PERIOD.
You can have no lights, no indicators, no mirrors, etc but you MUST have a brake light AND a horn as a minimum.
If you have no front but a rear just disconnect the rear light cable but leave the brake light working - personally you'd be an idiot to as any vis is better than no vis.
Why the issue though? Busters or M&P have enduro headlights that are under £30 and just use rubber bands to hold then on the forks.
Simple.
As for the CoC - you don't need one. Its already road registered - you only need a CoC if you are doing something like a MX to the road for example as I did with the CFR450R.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:49:43 PM by HammyUK »
I don't need 200BHP.........................ask the guys behind me!

HammyUK

• *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 277
  • You weigh how much? You bastard!
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 05:48:04 PM »

FYI - if its already registered in France then its a lot easier as you are just transferring to another EU country.
As long as it passes an MOT here you just get a UK log book in exchange for your French one.
I don't need 200BHP.........................ask the guys behind me!

zx10r-Alan

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 18
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 11:42:11 PM »

The COC for my ZX10 stated that the bike could be used in Spain without any modifications (it states all countries it can be used in without modifications), and gave the dimensions, emissions, noise level etc. Without it, I would of had to have paid for an engineers report. It may not be the same the other way round, but my girlfriends Cagiva was issued with a COC from Italy so the UK knew it was made to comply with British regulations. We're now waiting for a copy of the COC from Cagiva in Italy (the UK importer has lost the original) so we can matriculate it to Spain.

Prilla

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 13
  • Bromley - Kent
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2015, 12:10:15 AM »

Hammy - sorry but got to pull you up on the issue of brake light.

I'm sure this has been done to death on the net but if the bike doesn't have front or rear position lamps, brake light is not required for MOT.
Have just logged on to CompII (mot system) and copy / pasted this for you.

Stop Lamp:
 This inspection applies to: all machines, except those which have neither front nor rear position lamps, or has such lamps permanently disconnected, painted over or masked that are · only used during daylight hours, and · not used at times of seriously reduced visibility   If this situation occurs the machine presenter should be issued with a VT32 (advisory notice) recording the above
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 18 queries.