ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting article about ramair effects  (Read 2474 times)

Jester

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 9
  • North Kent
Interesting article about ramair effects
« on: June 19, 2014, 04:04:01 PM »

I came across the following page when I was doing some research on how the 10 adjusts fuelling for the ramair effect (speed sensor output as it happens), it's a rather old article but might be interesting to someone:

http://www.sportrider.com/ram-air-whats-it-worth
Embarrassing myself on two wheels since 1995...

ZedThou

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 10
  • Bristol
Re: Interesting article about ramair effects
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:17:57 PM »

Interesting article, and gives some indication of the bhp gains to be expected from ram air.  I am surprised that modern dynos have not been modified to simulate it as the number of bikes with ram air is significant, and without simulating the effect, I would think all fuel maps will be off above 100mph.  Given the additional speed of the ZX10R over the ZX9R and the corresponding increase in airbox pressure, we should be looking at 10-15bhp gains at the top end. 

Going off at a slight tangent, I knew Steve Burns back in the 80's through drag racing

Jester

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 9
  • North Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 08:30:31 AM »

I think these modern FI bikes already adjust for ramair effect by using the speed sensor data by the ECU from the factory, so it's already taking it into account. I imagine therefore if you map in a still dyno room it should still be fine at speed, and the tuners see the added cost of a wind tunnel or similar as unjustifiable cost!

The factorys of course can afford the extra equipment and/or very clever people to do the calculations.
Embarrassing myself on two wheels since 1995...

NinjaPaul

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 31
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 12:15:12 PM »

Just sellotape a shit load of hair dryers on the front of the bike when doing a dyno run.  :tongue3:

Sorted  :icon_thumleft:
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 18 queries.