ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Moving 30 miles from work, commuting??  (Read 4281 times)

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex
Moving 30 miles from work, commuting??
« on: May 29, 2014, 01:35:19 PM »

Expecting twins so moving to a bigger house, the missus has found a good one but it's 30 miles from work. The roads are good (no motorways) but I've worked out I'm going to be doing 16k plus miles a year just to work and back. The fuel and running costs are looking quite scary so I've been looking at boring commuter bikes. Things like the honda nc700, yamaha sr400, suzuki dr's etc. The NC700 will do twice the mpg of my ninja and I'm pretty sure it won't eat tyres at the same rate either.

I will be replacing the pirelli rosso corsas with michelin power road 3's on my 10 as I will inevitably want to take it from time to time to relieve the boredom and I've heard they give good mileage but the overall cost of using it daily is too much.

So to my questions,

Does anyone on here do a long commute, if so on what?
Does it do your head in? (I'm currently 15 mins from work, will increase to 45)
Can anyone recommend a bike that is mega cheap to run?

Cheers

arch stanton

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 1
Re: Moving 30 miles from work, commuting??
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 08:16:08 PM »

forget any notions of cool or sportiness. The DR should be ruled out straigh off, smal tank and uncomfortable seat would be a mare. TBH, whicever bike you choose you'll be visiting the fuel station every few days, in winter without heated grips you'll be stopping a couple of times on the way home to try and warm hands up. I did it for a few years and the novelty wore off in winter. If you defo want to do it on a bike, id go for an old tourer style, big comfy seat, good weather protection and big tank. Or get a small diseasal car.

michael4012

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 31
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2014, 06:58:38 AM »

commuting year round is hard on bikes i would buy an older fully dressed bike such as a VFR750 or Triumph Sprint 1050 as mentioned above fairing and heated grips are essential dont forget the cost of adding commuting to your insurance.

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2014, 11:44:08 AM »

forget any notions of cool or sportiness.

Lol. The Suzuki Vstrom 650 looks like a good compromise between cost and enjoyment, reported at 50 mpg ish, has a screen and could easily fit heated grips. The v twin engines are meant to be pretty tough.

Bikes like the VFR are a bit to technical, I will be doing my own servicing and won't something moderately straight forward to work on. A guy at work had one and ended up spending a fortune on it, might have been a lemon though.

A small car does make sense but I hate sitting in traffic so have ruled that out.

docta13

• <docta in the house>
  • Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 10
  • i will keep going.......i am now there!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 05:38:45 AM »

I've been doing a few trips back and forward to site, thankfully not always on the bike, I'm splitting it between an rsv4 and a zzr1400. maybe get some music in your ears as i get get bored very easy and and my commute can sometimes be 50-60 miles each way if I've got to go into london!!
i started out with nothing and i still got most of it left!

Si-10R

• aka 900RR
  • ZX10R Staff
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 176
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »

A cheap to run commuter an old CB500, BMW F650GS. The bimmer frame is mentally good on fuel. 200 odd miles to a tank. Stupidly comfortable and has heated grips. They ride the fookers round the world so cannot be that bad. I had the second gen for a while and loved it.

Kaos Theory

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 19
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:40:22 PM »

I've been commuting on sportsbikes for years, this year is the first time I've had heated grips on a bike, before that, decent gloves made all the difference.

Wellerman

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 1
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 06:26:18 AM »

I do long commutes and work away from home up as far as Northumberland from kent and have always had diversion 900s...on my second one now and wouldn't have anything else as a hack/tourer cheap as chips comfy no chain and it will do 200 miles to a tank mines on 60k miles and engine is sweet as a nut
Ciao Marco

kwakkid

• Personal BHP 1
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 10:39:42 AM »

r1flyguy

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 25
  • Redditch B97 & HKG wan Chai ;)
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »

Does anyone on here do a long commute, if so on what?

Firstly, congratulations  :shock:

Secondly, my commute is 6000 miles every 2 weeks  [rofl]

Does it do your head in? (I'm currently 15 mins from work, will increase to 45)

When I worked in the UK my commute was year round on a ZX10R albeit 20 miles each way and a combination of A,B and motorway, winter was a ball ache but as I worked shifts and sometimes finished at 2am the ride back from work was interesting  [whistle]

It was always a better proposition than taking the car as I had a large bike garage often all to myself  :headbang:

The ZX10R is always more economical than a car IMHO,

Depending on the type of roads, just be careful in the winter as you have and expanding family now  [pray]

MJJ_ZX6RR

• Personal BHP 0
  • Wiltshire
Moving 30 miles from work, commuting??
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 09:36:29 PM »

I commute 52 miles each way on a 1400GTR. Lots of comfort, room to carry suit/laptop etc. and a big fairing to shield you from the weather.

It does 200 to a tank, and has averaged 52mpg in the 54,000 miles since new. Tyres (Pilot Road 3's or Pirelli Angel GTs) last 10,000 miles and it has been magnificently reliable. Only downside is the servicing, every 4,000 miles and expensive at a dealer.

The trouble with buying a cheap and cheerful, or boring motorbike is that it may stat to suck the enjoyment from riding. I am happy to pay the bills and have a nice bike to commute on.

Final recommendation - Gerbings heated jacket and gloves wired into the bike's electrics. Makes winter a breeze.

Matin.
06 ZX10R and other trackbikes.

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:39:19 AM by Waverider »

millsyboy

• Marshall
  • Personal BHP 0
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

I live about 16miles from work and when I first moved here, I took bike to work (when I had a GSXR) and then took the car and the time it took was the same (two lane A road - 90% of it). This is driving at speed limit (and keeping mpg high). I decided it was better to take the car, as no need to change clothes when I arrive, the bike would have been in the elements (rain) and usage/mileage would have raked up.
If I lived somewhere where the roads mostly countryside, then I would alternate. If I was constantly stuck behind traffic on the roads or through a city, then I would definitely take the bike as quicker.

sinewave

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 4
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2014, 09:50:25 PM »

Could always look for a new job closer to the new Gaff?     :glasses9:
Road Bike - 2016 GSXR-1000 L6
Track Slag - 2016 ZX10R KRT Performance Edition, Ohlins Front Internals, Ohlins GP Rear, Woolich Race ECU with Cordona QS & Auto Blipper, Arrow De-cat Exhaust, Brembo M50's & 19RCS MC, HM Race Dash, GB Crash Protection, Gilles Rearsets, HEL stainless lines.

Waverider

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 7
  • West Sussex
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 04:32:45 PM »

Thanks for the advice on this one. I ended up getting a Yamaha XT660z tenere with boxes on the side. It's working out pretty well so far giving between 50 & 55 mpg and the boxes mean no rucksack. Sunny today though so on the ten  [greenie]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 17 queries.