ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: maxxis tyres = crashed bike  (Read 7586 times)

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
maxxis tyres = crashed bike
« on: March 17, 2014, 09:53:35 PM »

anyone else had any experience with maxxis tyres?
I couldn't get any metzlers so I thought id give a pair of new maxxis sport tyres a go on track.
they took ages to run in and I had a few slips and slide so most of my day was wasted tip toeing around trying to gain confidence in them.
I was running tyre warmers too.
the last session of the day they finally felt like they were coming in and I managed to do a few fairly quick laps of snetterton but then this happened with no warning: cry cry cry!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGd4_erfGDA
Gen4/5 hybrid

ZedThou

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 10
  • Bristol
Re: maxxis tyres = crashed bike
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 10:08:23 PM »

Crap, you looked OK, hope the bike isn't too bad.  A good advert I think for putting the best tyres you can get on the bike.  I have never been tempted to try Maxxis and your experience just reinforces that.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 10:33:06 PM by ZedThou »

MontyD

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 1
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 06:50:21 AM »

I did the Chris Walker Race School and they had Maxis tyres on ........ it was a damp track and we were doing 1.02's without any drama but the instructor wouldn't let me go quicker as he was concerned the tyres would let go, say's a lot to me!!!
To be honest I would not use them on track even if I was given a set.

Crappy outcome!
O5 Green & Mean Widow Maker ..... the best ever!

Chappo

• Club Racer
  • Personal BHP 8
  • Leicester.
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 03:05:41 PM »

Never used them and never will tbh.

I know people that do and they like em , but not for me.

robbosliding

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 28
  • Technology Will Triumph Over Skill!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2016, 09:18:00 PM »

I had an off on Maxxis tyres. They would never have been my choice of tyre but they were fitted to the bike I was riding at the Chris Walker Race School at Mallory Park (which was very good to be fair). The bike let go on me after entering Gerrards - a 4th gear entry on the final session when they run a Super Pole session. The bike was already warm as had immediately come off from another rider. Nevertheless I did an enthusiastic warm up lap before "Poling" and the result was a no warning low side after entry - bike settled, knee on the fllor and winding it on and away it went. Conditions were hot - it was 30c, dry so should have been sticky as. The bike was a ZX6R. I don't know what the tyre pressures were but I suspect a mix of over pressure due to the heat and cheap Chinese rubber.....The bike low sided me off, no injuries then flipped several times on the grass extensively damaging it. I'd not buy Maxxis as a direct result of that experience - I go faster on my ZX10R now on Pirelli's and Racetecs without issue.

GRNINJA

• Super Dooper
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 680
  • -ZX10R Ninja-
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 10:22:24 AM »

video isnt there any more

if you wanted a cheap decent tyre then the Avon viper x treme is amazing .... only problem is you can tear through a rear in 1800 miles

but my god the grip was good... i had bridgestones on my bike when i first got it and they lacked any feel too ages to warm up and just felt really wooden under the bike

switched to the viper xtremes and within 5 mins of warming them up I got my knee down ... I couldn't believe it .... seems like such a long time ago now  [rofl]
Ride it like you stole it - or at least try

ukzx10r

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 13
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »

video isnt there any more

if you wanted a cheap decent tyre then the Avon viper x treme is amazing .... only problem is you can tear through a rear in 1800 miles

but my god the grip was good... i had bridgestones on my bike when i first got it and they lacked any feel too ages to warm up and just felt really wooden under the bike

switched to the viper xtremes and within 5 mins of warming them up I got my knee down ... I couldn't believe it .... seems like such a long time ago now  [rofl]
I deleted the video coz i wanted to sell the bike lol. Since running on metzelers and pirellis again i realised how bad the maxxis were. They  just slipped around alot. Id never even chance it. I feel for maxxis coz they could have really took the market if the tyres had better grip. A low budget road legal track tyre is a great combination but they just not sticky enough
Gen4/5 hybrid

SKITLER

• Personal BHP 0
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2016, 09:24:47 PM »

thought id read this as i have maxxis tyres fitted to my zx9r and zzr600

i dont use either on the track, nor do i use either or any of my bikes anywhere near there full potential these days

i find them easy to ride on and the bikes do turn into bends quite well, the only issues is with manhole covers on bends where they do skip out a tad, well, more than the avon azaros i used to run on when i had my zzr1100.

i had to slam on while on the zx9 the other day and the front took most of the force and held ok but it was a hot day, i am aware that it must be cheaper rubber due the the price only being about £130 for the pair, so im always cautious if in the wet or greasy conditions from tree shaded bends.

in hind sight i dont think ill buy them again though, as there are grippier options, and as we know only to well its best to keep the bikes shiny ways up.  [greenie]

zxyogi

• YogiWanKanobe
  • ZX10R Staff
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 257
  • Fleet,Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2016, 09:50:52 PM »

I had a set on my ZRX1100, good road tyre but track use.....no way!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 17 queries.