ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Front brake ?  (Read 2035 times)

10RDan

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 28
  • Southern Spain
Front brake ?
« on: July 10, 2013, 07:08:12 AM »

Why is it that after you've had a band on the front brake lever for 24 hrs that the "feel" is slightly better ?

I've got a d7f, from new, and compared to the b1h 636 I had before the feel is a lot worse. I know it's well documented on here re. 06/07 front brakes and I've since put 08 "blade" calipers on it, but just wondered why the feel improves after having a band pull the lever back for 24 hrs.

:occasion14:
Race In Peace #58

ZXtriggR

• Personal BHP 0
Front brake ?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 09:51:10 PM »

Clears some air out of the brake fluid

BDS

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 8
Re: Front brake ?
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:53 PM »

The dust & fluid seals will exert a tiny amount of drag on the pistons, i.e. as you apply the brake, the pistons move but the seals flex. Binding the brake lever overnight allows the seals to relax back to their zero position with the pistons still hard against the pads. When you relax the lever, the pads stop closer to the disc = less travel needed = harder feel.

10RDan

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 28
  • Southern Spain
Re: Front brake ?
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 08:31:23 PM »

The dust & fluid seals will exert a tiny amount of drag on the pistons, i.e. as you apply the brake, the pistons move but the seals flex. Binding the brake lever overnight allows the seals to relax back to their zero position with the pistons still hard against the pads. When you relax the lever, the pads stop closer to the disc = less travel needed = harder feel.

That makes sense.

Worked on cars, building and tuning engines, for over 30yrs and couldn't work out how holding the front brake lever back expelled air in the system. If that was the case it would mean air was gettin into system under normal use.
Race In Peace #58
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 17 queries.