ZX 10 R Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Welcome ZX10R Ninja Owners!!!!!
Front Page Here
Can all new members that haven't posted please read the admin and announcement page for the forum rules.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 'Not For Road Use'  (Read 1947 times)

alien.46.uk

• *VIP*
  • Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 4
'Not For Road Use'
« on: June 03, 2010, 11:49:13 PM »

Hi All ...

I just realised the system I just put on has the above stamped into each can. Not on a strap unfortunately, but actually stamped by the inlet.

Would it be best to leave it and get a ticking off now and again or attempt to remove this? Trouble is, with the matt Ti finish, it would be obviously shiny when gone. So I could then be looking at perverting the course of justice etc etc etc ... So what would I best be doing?

Also, how does this effect an MOT?

As I don't want to be changing a complete system for an MOT, plus I'd plan to sell my Akro bolt-on's anyway to make some of the systems money back. I understand if not 'E' marked then it's up to the testers disgretion based on sound, but if it blatantly has 'Not For Road Use' stamped into each can, both showing out to the road (easily visible) then how does this work?

And being the Akro EVO Ti, it would indeed mean changing the WHOLE system just for an MOT.

Advice appreciated on this one. I used to know this but I cant remember any more.

horse

• I am a GP wanna be not a
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 216
  • The Shepherd is Here!
Re: 'Not For Road Use'
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:21 AM »

On MOT day put a sticker or tape over it! during an exam an MOT tester is not allowed to remove anything from your bike ie. tape. I run an Daytime MOT but have cut a break light in for my own safety but on MOT test I put black tape over it, now examiner knows what's under tape but beccause he can not see it fitted he can not test it. I know bloody stupid rule..........................

Ride Hard! Play Hard!

Prilla

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 13
  • Bromley - Kent
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 12:03:37 AM »

As far as getting stopped by the old bill, that's down to you, but.......

as far as the MOT goes, if you stick a bit of black tape over the wording, the tester is not permitted to remove the tape and can therefore only assume what is written underneath and can only give you an 'advise' for it, not a fail.

This is not opinion, tis fact.  :icon_thumleft:

Prilla

• Mini Moto Madmad
  • Personal BHP 13
  • Bromley - Kent
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:04:38 AM »

........ok, you type faster than me.  :tongue3:

Nutz

• Rookie Racer
  • Personal BHP 7
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:39:01 AM »

I had the same problem,

I took a dremal to it, polished it (as you say it goes shiney), I then got it bead blasted buy my local metal firm (matt finish but not quite the same colour as the original, it is a bit darker).
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 12:41:18 AM by Nutz »

Chrisblack10r

• Global Moderator *VIP*
  • GP Hero
  • Personal BHP 172
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »

can you not use wire wool to get rid of it? that way its like brushed finish and not shiney?

Volkswagen Master Technician with an 08 zx10r with 181.4 BHP at the back wheel hahaha!!!!!

10R_fettler

• Pit Crew
  • Personal BHP 7
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 02:04:48 PM »

As far as getting stopped by the old bill, that's down to you, but.......

as far as the MOT goes, if you stick a bit of black tape over the wording, the tester is not permitted to remove the tape and can therefore only assume what is written underneath and can only give you an 'advise' for it, not a fail.

This is not opinion, tis fact.  :icon_thumleft:

+1 and this is the sticker I would recommend http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/METALLIC-E-MARKED-STICKER-EXHAUST-CANS-/200482596625?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2eadb1a711
these are a million times better than a scruffy engraving job or home made rivet-on plate. Esp. good for european bikes or arrow/termi cans. I er.. ahem..'have this friend' who has them on his bike and bought some more for his Dad's bike. They both sail thru the MOT a treat (apparently!).

But seriously: dont break the law, thats bad  [whistle]
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 14 queries.